Welcome!

Welcome to Christmas:
A Merry Introduction from the Blog's Founders

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Celtics/Cavs: A Rebuilding Win

It's actually a pretty decent time to be a Cleveland Cavaliers fan.

Obviously it helps that "we" beat the Celtics today. Granted, Rondo didn't play, but those dudes had seriously been on a hot streak...or at least that's what I gather from reading the ESPN recaps of their most recent games. In case you were too busy living your life, today the Celtics had an 11-point lead late in the fourth before the Cavs reeled off 12 straight points to close out the game for a win.

Especially encouraging was that, in addition to scoring the game-winning basket on another pretty difficult looking layup1 Kyrie2 again had another 20+ points. I know that he wasn't being guarded by Rondo but still. Plus, the Celtics' local cable announcers had a nice anecdote about Doc Rivers saying that Kyrie could be a great player someday-so how about that for an endorsement! I think, at least, it's clear that Kyrie won't be a draft bust unless he suffers from some terrible injury and something like that would never happen because he plays in Cleveland. So we're all good.

Today's win aside, it's interesting to think about where "we" go from here. I really am happy when "we" get these rebuilding wins, but in the back of my mind I realize that we have no business being in the playoffs this soon in the rebuilding process - especially in a year with such a loaded draft (i.e. college players you have actually heard of). Yet with each win regular season win, "we" come closer to convincing Dan Gilbert to passionately declare the rebuilding process over and for him to once again declare war on the rest of the league.

I still kind of feel that "we" need to trade Jamison quickly to get another draft pick in this loaded draft. His contract expires this year though so there's not as much urgency to get rid of him - and I don't see a team that would want him. Even when Jamison was scoring 20 points a game during that stretch a few weeks ago, he still JOGS the entire game. It's unbelievable. So he's probably not going anywhere, which is probably fine.

From a rebuilding standpoint "we" also need to trade Varejao because he has the most trade value. But who would want him? I guess maybe a contender trying to round out their bigs. He has another year after this one contract-wise so it's not like he's a long-term problem. So, I guess "we" could rebuild with him since "we" don't exactly have another center right now. The dude has been loyal and there's no question that his two offensive rebounds on the second to last possession of the game were just as much the reason "we" won today...but still, "we" need those draft picks3.

As far as what "we" have beyond-the-Kyrie-future, Tristan Thompson is going to be a legit starter. It's easy for me to think that dude has gotten a total pass from the Cleveland media (...that I follow from Chicago). His pass has been earned, though, because Tristan is a hilarious interview and actually seems like a person I would want to hang out with. He also makes one super athletic play per game on offense and defense. So, that counts for a lot in my book - almost as much as being an actual starter on an actual team4.

In sum, the big picture is promising. And after tonight the small picture isn't so bad either. Tonight "we" beat an aging team that was tired after some emotional wins and was looking past "us." When they come to town to play "us" on Tuesday, I can't say the outcome will be the same. And maybe that's for the best.

1I was the worst player on the 2002-2003 Monticello High School basketball team so every layup looks difficult to me
2I'm working on a cute nickname for him - probably some character name from the movie Major League but obviously Varejao took the best one
3For a better analysis of trading Jamison and Wild Thing, please go here.
4I don't totally understand the J.J. Hickson trade but that Turkish dude "we" got seems cool. I know we might get a Kings' draft pick from the trade and I would follow the situation closer but the Kings are horrible team to watch. I guess "we" won that trade, but it's not like JJ Hickson is the only player in the league who is bad on offense because no one on his team will pass him the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment